Sports related injuries may occur while playing any kind of indoor or outdoor sports or even during exercising. Sports injuries can result from incomplete training, incorrect use of protective gears, accidents or inadequate warm-up exercises. Sprains and strains, fractures, and dislocations are the most commonly known sports related injuries.
Below are the most commonly prescribed remedies for sports related injuries.
Rest: Activities that may cause injury need to be avoided.
Ice: Application of Ice packs can help to diminish swelling and pain in the injured area. Avoid placing ice directly over the skin.
Compression: Compression of the injured portion of the body through Elastic wraps, air casts and splints help to decrease swelling.
Elevation: Injured portion of the body when elevated above heart level helps to decrease swelling and pain.
Some of the precautions that can be taken to prevent sports related injuries may include:
- Follow a well-designed exercise program in order to strengthen the muscles
- Avoid overdoing the exercise by following a gradual increase pattern
- Ensure that you wear protective gear that fits properly which will help to reduce the chances of injury
- Following warm up and cool down exercises before and after sports activity will help to stretch the muscles, increase flexibility, and reduce soft tissue injuries.
- Eating a large meal right after exercising needs to be avoided.
- To nourish the muscles, maintain a healthy diet
- When you are injured or tired avoid playing. Rest for a while after playing
- Make sure that you are physically fit to play the sport
Some of the common Sports Injuries Include:
Chronic pain in shoulders during games like tennis, cricket and badminton may be because of shoulder dislocation. These may be caused by overuse of shoulder while playing sports. Acute injuries or minor pains may be treated with conventional treatment and severe injuries may require surgery.
The injuries in the leg below the knee which typically occur while playing sports such as football, hockey, skating and in athletes. Treatment for some of these conditions may be. Usual related injuries include sprains and strains, ankle fractures, and Achilles tendinitis.
ACL is a major stabilizing ligament in the knee, with over use of knee for playing sports it may tear. ACL’s poor ability to heal may cause instability. Similarly, Cartilage damage and meniscal tear are other common sports injuries in the knee. Sports related Knee injuries may require surgical intervention that can be done using marginally invasive procedures. Surgeons may recommend physical therapy to strengthen muscles, improve flexibility and to better the movements of the bones and joints.
Sports Injury related Topics
Click on the topics below to find out more from the direct website of Bone and Joint Consult.
- Heel Pain
- Knee Injuries
- Achilles tendon injuries
- Pain along the shin bone
- Rotator cuff tears
- Ankle Fractures
- Shoulder Dislocations
Leave a reply