Osteoporosis is the most common reason for a broken bone among the elderly. Commonly broken bones include the vertebrae in the spine, the bones of the forearm and the hip. Osteoporosis is a disease where augmented bone weakness increases the risk of a broken bone.
For the people with osteoporosis, exercise is the important component of strengthening your bones. But before you start with your Exercise consult your Doctor and get his approval first.Depending on your Health Condition, your age and other Physical Constraints he will be able to give you the best Exercises since not all types of exercises are good for Healthy Bones.
Here are 8 easy Exercises to do at home.
- FOOT STOMPS:
The Best way to challenge hip bones is through foot stomps.
- While you are standing, stomp your foot, imagining you are crushing something downwards.
- Repeat four times on each foot, first with 1 foot and then with the next foot.
- Take Support of a railing or sturdy piece of furniture if you have difficulty maintaining your balance.
- BICEP CURLS:
Bicep curls are performed with dumbbells weighing between 1 to 5 pounds. It can be done either seated or standing depending on your Comfort.
- Take a dumbbell in each hand.
- Move your weights towards your chest, watching the bicep muscles on the front of your upper arms contract.
- Lower your arms to return to your starting position.
- Repeat the same 8 to 10 times.
- SHOULDER LIFTS:
One needs weights to perform shoulder lifts. This exercise is done from either a standing or seated position depending on your comfort.
- Take a dumbbell in each hand.
- Move your arms down and hands at your sides.
- Slowly raise your arms out straight in front of you, but make sure you don’t lock your elbow.
- Lift to a comfortable height, but not higher than shoulder level.
- Repeat 8 to 12 times. Rest for a while and repeat for a second set, if you are comfortable.
- HAMSTRING CURLS:
Hamstring curls strengthen the muscles in the upper legs. You perform this exercise from a standing position. If necessary, rest your hands on a piece of heavy furniture or other stuff for your balance.
- Stand on your feet shoulder-width apart. Slightly move back your left foot until only your toes touch the floor.
- Contract the back muscles of your left leg and lift your left heel towards your buttocks.
- Slowly control your left foot as you lower it back to its original position.
- Repeat the exercise between eight and 12 times. Rest, and repeat the exercise with your right leg also.
- HIP LEG LIFTS:
It strengthens your hip muscles.Place your hands on a piece of heavy furniture to improve your balance if needed.
- Begin with your feet hip-width apart. Shift your weight to your left foot.
- Flex your right foot and keep your right leg straight as you lift it to the side, not more than 6 inches off the ground.
- Lower your right leg.
- Repeat the leg lift for 8 to 12 times. Repeat the same with your Left leg.
Squats strengthen the front part of legs and buttocks. No need to squat deeply for this exercise to be effective.
- Start with your feet hip-width apart. place your hands lightly on a sturdy piece of furniture for balance.
- Bend at your knees to slowly squat down. Keep your back straight and lean slightly forward.
- Squat only until your thighs are parallel to the ground.
- Tighten your buttocks to return to a standing position.
- Repeat this exercise 8 to 12 times.
- BALL SIT:
These exercises strengthen your abdominal muscles. Use a large exercise ball to do this. While doing this have someone with you to act as a “spotter” to help you maintain balance.
- Sit on the exercise ball with your feet flat on the floor.
- Keep your back as straight as you can, to maintain balance.
- If possible, hold your arms out at your sides, palms facing forward.
- Hold the position for a minute, if possible. Stand and rest. Repeat the exercise twice.
- STANDING ON ONE LEG:
This exercise stimulates great balance.
- Usage of a solid piece of furniture nearby is recommended to grip onto something, stand on one foot for a minute, if possible.
- Repeat the same exercise on your other leg.
For More Details reach us @Leave a reply